Thursday, June 15, 2006

Rita's Top 10

This is near impossible.

Ultimate Top 10 (in no particular order)
Monsters Inc.
Emperor's New Groove
Point Break
Babe
Labyrinth
Henry V
Matrix
Strictly Ballroom
Groundhog Day
Beauty and the Beast


6 Truly Honorable Mentions
Mary Poppins--Has the shocking potential to even bump Beauty and the Beast, if I ever get the Special 40th Anniversary Edition on DVD! At one point in time, my all-time number one. The "Tuppence" song about feeding the birds, the "Let's Go Fly A Kite" ending, and the jumping in and out of sidewalk chalk art elevatate this into high art for me
Incredibles--Came so close to tempting me away from my number one Pixar love for Monsters Inc.
Amelie--Seamless, flawless, dreamy
L.A. Story--Endlessly quotable, including just the words, "Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful."
Casablanca--Seamless, flawless, miraculous, classic, i cannot explain
Shakespeare In Love--Like Amelie, no good stopping place

I have every line of some of these memorized (because I taped the audio off the tv and then played it in my walkman to fall asleep). Then again, Damon has every line memorized for tons of 80s movies . . . I have no idea why.

2nd-Tier Honorable Mentions
I didn't truly consider these for my personal "ALL-TIME TOP 10." So these are 2nd-Tier by definition, alas.

Whale Rider--Has hot potential to move up. Very new!
Prelude to a Kiss--The portrayal of "Rita" is yes.
Spellbound--Giddy, revealing, wonderful
Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure--No explanation needed
Galaxy Quest

Caveats
All of this might change if I could just re-watch:

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind--Blew even Being John Malkovich out of the water for me.(!!) LOVE
Eat Drink Man Woman / Wedding Banquet--I'd choose one of these. Probably Wedding Banquet
Moonstruck--Only saw this for the first time last year
School of Rock--Would totally be an Honorable Mention already if not for Bill & Ted's, which also ends in a feel-good concert
Roll Bounce--So new, I don't know if it's just giddiness or the soundtrack talking. LOVE!
Party Girl--Has its own special place in my heart. A perfect gem
Memento--Never saw this, but I bet I would love it

Ultimate Worst
Howard the Duck--I only saw this on TV; does that count??
Cat in the Hat--In the theatre . . . as a trade for a surplus Matrix IMAX ticket. Talk about worst deal ever
Garfield: The Movie--See comments in this other post
Karate Kid III--I've blocked this out but remember leaving the theatre pissed
. . . The Wedding Planner?? Had a terrific opening sequence but was really rotten, after. Still. I'm sure there's far worse I'm just repressing,

r

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home