Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Calvin's Ultimate Top 10

Ultimate Top 10

Okay, so I'm finally posting to this Ultimate Top 10 site after being kindly reminded to by Rita last night.

First off, the "Givens" - I don't even think these movies should be on anyone's Top 10 list. They're just givens. Defaults, etc. Hence, as a disclaimer I am telling you now that I'm not going to list them:

Back to the Future
Shawshank Redemption
Lord of the Rings
Star Wars
Return of the Jedi
Raiders of the Lost Ark
hell, throw Temple of Doom in here as well.

That being said my top "10", in no particular order. I've attempted to create a list that doesn't really contain too movies from other people's lists, just to mix it up a bit. Too me, what makes a movie great? What makes a movie Top 10 worthy? Simple, it has to hold up to massive repeat viewing. It has to be totally quotable. And I have to be able to basically quote most of the movie by heart. Either that or it simply has to be just be totally cool. My list, in no particular order:

The Princess Bride
When Harry Met Sally
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail
Jerry Maguire
My Sassy Girl
The Professional
South Park the Movie
Groundhog Day
Bring It On

Honorable Mentions, man it was tough to leave these off.

Goonies
Perfect Blue
Chungking Express
The Incredibles
Heathers
X2
Mystery Men
Chasing Amy

Worst 5:
Other People's Money
The Avengers (Uma and Ralph)
Torque
Alex and Emma
Bring It On Again

and Honorable Worst 5 - Pirates of the Carribean 2: Dead Men's Chest. Okay, maybe this doesn't rate the absolute Worst 5, but since it's timely, I'm throwing it in there for now. Talk about horrible.

1 Comments:

Blogger Rita said...

Wow—a GIVENS list. (That you think goes without saying for everyone.) That's your Ultimate Plus Plus Plus! hahahahaha!!

Okay, you, Benji, Tony, Irvin, and Mike all have to explain to me again what makes Chungking Express so great. I love Wong Faye as much as the next person (who loves Wong Faye), but . . . ??

Also (and this applies to Tony and Mike, too), I agree with what Irvin said in an earlier comment about Chasing Amy: "decent but not extraordinary." The phenomenon with all you straight guys, man . . .

Yahh!!! Calvin!!!! :D
r

6:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home