Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Howard the Duck makes NEWS

Look! Howard the Duck got cited on CNN.com today as a prime example of horrible:

[The Documentary] "Boffo!" presents a litany of films that defied convention and became major hits, among them "Jaws," "Star Wars," "Tootsie," "Forrest Gump," "Braveheart," "Apollo 13," "A League of Their Own" and "Cast Away."

The documentary focuses mainly on the blockbusters and is relatively light on the bombs, but does examine what went wrong with such duds as "Howard the Duck," "Clan of the Cave Bear" and "The Bonfire of the Vanities."

Full article here, under the brilliant headline "Nobody Knows Anything" [About How to Make a Good Movie]


I have yet to post my own Top 10 (and Worst 5), but Howard the Duck has always been my lead contender for Worst Movie Ever. I can't remember it anymore. I've blocked it out. But I still recall the horror I felt over that ridiculous duck suit, and that they attempted a romance!!

I forget what the duck suit looked like?



Oh, yeah.

(This image brought to you by BADMOVIES.ORG. I couldn't read the plot description and quotes there, though. I tried, but I went blind.)


Check out this quote from a Howard the Duck fan page:

I was very excited about the prospect of the film and seeing one of my favorite [comic book] characters brought to life. However, the film is a great disappointment due to what I call the "Howard Effect." . . . [T]hey cheaped out on the look of Howard and used a little person in a duck suit. . . . [T]hat in itself was the death of the film.


Also: from the Amazon.com review:

If you concentrate on the fact that Howard the Duck was a notorious box office dud (still brought up today) and considered one of the worst films of the '80s, it's entirely possible to enjoy this special effects piffle.

I sense a movie night coming on.

Assuming we can only endure one "Bad Movie" Night (not a series), and at most two titles during that one night, what movies should we watch?

Ishtar?
Waterworld?
Karate Kid IV??


r

2 Comments:

Blogger Eat the Love said...

Andre totally sold me on WATERWORLD. So I vote for that. And the HOWARD THE DUCK suit looks HILARIOUS. I'd watch it. Hilarity is bound to ensue.

5:03 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

I vote for a airline theme with View From The Top and Pushing Tin, neither of which made it on to my 5 Worst list because they're so bad they're good, if you know what I mean. But together they would really be... something.

9:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home